Monday 28 January 2013

Early morning

I'm a bit of an early riser.
This attribute (if that's the right word) has stood me in good stead throughout my years of parenthood. When the babies woke up early I have always been...on the whole... pretty happy to get up with them. This has worked well for my husband too - he isn't an early riser!
My daughter is at an age where she regularly sleeps through the night but she and I usually have a quality hour or two together early on in the day before the male members of the family stagger down to throw some cereal in a bowl and start their day.
This morning, after many, many hot, hot days...it was cool in our kitchen. The oven could be switched on without me feeling as though I was in a sauna whilst wearing too many clothes!
I pulled out an old reciepe given to me by a wonderful friend who really introduced me to cooking and how much fun it could be. She brought this cake to Playgroup one day and everyone loved it. The following week she brough copies of the recipe for all of us in the group - she was just that kind of girl - sharing the baking love.
It's super easy and super effective.




Apple Cake

125g Butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup SR flour
2 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
cinnamon to sprinkle

Blend tog melted butter, sugar, eggs and flour.
Place in prepared cake tin and cover with sliced apples
Sprinkle cinnamon on top
Cook in mod oven for about 40 mns
Serve with dusted icing sugar, cram or just plain.
If you are feeding teenage boys - watch it go!




So if you find yourself up early, with or without a helper, you could try baking a cake. You end up feeling like you've acheived quite a bit ...and it's only 7:30 in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment