Monday 21 May 2012

Simply washing

I am finding myself reading more and more blogs/books on "simple living"
It's a very seductive thing, this "simple living". When life seems chaotic and to be pulling you along in a rather out of control manner it is incredibly soothing to turn to the basics, chores at home, cooking, knitting. Those routines that can feel onerous but can also feel like a life rhythm that gives order and sense to the day.
 I have been aspiring to this rhythm for a while now and just recently, just occasionally, I am getting a whiff of it.
 It could be the stages my children are up to. With my oldest son working full-time and my other two sons at school it is only my 5 year old daughter at home with me. We have  our weekly routines with playgroup, meeting up with friends and Preschool but we also have our daily routines. The most regular of these is, of course, the washing.
 Now, call me weird, but I actually don't mind doing the washing. This is a good thing because I do a lot of it!
 I get a real sense of satisfaction from dirty clothes at the beginning of the day ending up as clean dry clothes at the end of the day.
 This is dependent entirely on the weather.
 I don't have a clothes dryer so I really need this:



the sun.
 Fortunately, in Canberra, the sun shines a lot. When it doesn't I have a clothes rack and central heating to help me out.
 But most of the time, the mornings find me out in this part of the garden.




And, to be honest, I'm very happy to be there.
Simple living and washing? Is there a connection? Seemingly yes. Lots of info on simple living seems to advocate for drying your clothes on the clothesline. Who knew that slowing down could start in such an easy place to get to?
So, I'm giving simple living a go. Hanging my washing on the line has been part of my life forever but I now realise that it is actually a really important part. I can look up into the sky, say hello to my neighbour over the fence,inspect my very small vegie garden, play my part in the family routines.
I bet you never thought washing could deliver so much.

Megan xx

No comments:

Post a Comment