Tuesday 1 May 2012

more on figs


Making jam is one of my all time favourite things to do. It's one of my husbands least favourite things I do. I'm messy. And he's the dishwasher. But I was given figs. So I made the jam. I had it on toast this morning. It's delish.



As an aside, if you so desire, you can find great tasting GF bread here.


Fig Jam notes

Figs (not important how many, just weigh them)
Sugar* (half the weight of the figs - if you have 1 kg of figs, use 500 gms sugar)
Lemon juice (2tbsp per kilo of figs)

I was fortunate enough to have picked these figs off a friends tree - she had too many, oh what a shame ;)

Chop figs roughly in big or small chunks, depending how you like your jam to spread.

Cook figs with lemon juice until very soft - you want them to be at the spreading consistency.

Add sugar and bring to boil. Cook for about half an hour until all sugar has dissolved and jam has thickened. Keep an eye on it as it has a tendency to catch on the bottom.

Drop some of the jam onto a saucer that has been in the freezer. When it sets on this, it's ready. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Enjoy!

*As I only use half the amount of sugar in conventional jams, this may not keep as long as others. I have kept jars for up to two years but it is always dependent on the seal of the jar and if they were sterile when the jam went in. I dare you to resist it for that long...

No comments:

Post a Comment